Monday, January 19, 2009

Doctor Who?

I passed my winter break watching “Chuck” and “Doctor Who”. I have continued my “Doctor Who” education at school; when I find a spare forty minutes I indulge in an episode. People wonder what I do during my quick study breaks and when I reply “I have been watching ‘Doctor Who’” everyone nods their heads to acknowledge the statement, but the eyes do not register. They do not know The Doctor! It’s unfortunate that once I begin to love the show I move to a place that everyone is ignorant of the Time Lord.
Now I am sure I’ve confused everyone, so let me enlighten you…“Doctor Who” is a British TV show started in the sixties and continued on until the early eighties. After about twenty years without the Doctor, BBC revived the Time Lord and he has won his way back into British pop culture. The show revolves around an alien who travels through space and time in a spaceship that looks like a telephone booth. It sounds nerdy and it is. The show’s notoriously low budget makes the sci-fi subject matter ridiculous, but you cannot help but love the show.
This unhealthy obsession began during my stay in London. I wished to see Hamlet with David Tennant because he did a fantastic job in Love’s Labour’s Lost. The whole population of Britain wanted to see Hamlet because he is the current Doctor. These crazed fans intrigued me and I gave the Doctor a go. The first few episodes I remained skeptical at the ridiculous alien jargon and cheap filming. After awhile you become accustomed to the unusual flow of the show; then you’re hooked. I always made fun of my father for watching Sci-fi but it’s different with “Doctor Who”.
I understand the direction my nerdiness is going and quite frankly it scares me. Now I make connections and references to “Doctor Who” under my breath, When I try to explain my obsession, the concerned stares convince me that I’m slowly going mad…perhaps I need a doctor…and if David Tennant happened to be my doctor I would gladly become sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment