Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Summer Reading Awards

Produced The Most Tears
The Crossing
In all honesty the novel that produced the most tears was Harry Potter and Half Blood Prince because tears were shed premortem and postmortem for Dumbledore. Overall, I estimate that I cried steady tears for about 60 pages.
However, the most profound and unexpected tears came during the final pages of The Crossing.

Laugh Out Loud Funny
Catch-22
Someone once expressed their distaste for this particular novel and I accepted this judgement without question. Shame on this person! I would have continued to miss out on this wonderful novel if it had not been for my co-workers at the Writing Center who convinced me to read it. I laughed out loud several times during this novel, but the laughter also comes with an ironic depth as you must come to grips with the the ridiculousness of a war dictated by an out of touch bureaucracy.


Memorable Sentence
As I Lay Dying
"My mother is a fish"


Memorable Word
East of Eden
Timshel תמשל


The Most Pleasurable "Guilty Pleasure"
Here Be Dragons
On my way home from the bookstore my friend inspected this newly purchased book and asked me if I was a fan of Dungeons and Dragons. You may laugh all you want, but I adore historical fiction novels that center around Britain.


Overall Favorites
My Name is Asher Lev and To The Lighthouse.
These novels don't have much in common. My Name is Asher Lev is a künstlerroman focusing on a young Orthodox Jewish boy and To The Lighthouse is just brilliant. It's a novel that I'm excited to grow old with. An odd thing to say, but it's the way I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment