Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Summer Soundtrack: The Rip Tide

In the summer film that is Hillary Gamblin's life, the soundtrack is a lightly strummed ukulele, the hum of an accordion and intermittent bursts of a brass band.



Zach Condon, you have done it again. Brilliant. Simply brilliant.


Each Beirut album is an innovative experiment in sound. This particular album, The Rip Tide, is phenomenal because of its mature restraint in instrumentation. It is simple and has a sunny disposition. It sounds like summer, or what summer should sound like. It even indulges my lingering feelings of summer nostalgia...Once I hear that accordion and ukulele, I feel like I'm sitting in a field of sunflowers in the old country.

Picture of sunflower fields in Hungary (i.e. Old Country).

3 comments:

  1. Were the sunflowers out when you went to Hungary to pick up Rebekah? It's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn introduced me to Beirut and I love them now! Very good music taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such good taste. Hungary is my homeland. I miss the flowers and the old women who sold them on every corner and in front of every store.
    P.S.- You introduced me to Andrew Bird, for which I am forever in your debt, so I thought I'd show you this:

    http://www.npr.org/2011/08/14/138984517/first-listen-muppets-the-green-album

    He is on the new tribute album to the Muppets and mellifluous as always. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete