Friday, December 5, 2008

The Best Day of My Life!

Abbey Road
The most famous album cover ever produced.


Outside the studio on Abbey Road is a concrete whitewashed wall that fans can sign. It's difficult to think of something to write when they said so many wonderful things! I settled on "Come together right now" world, because "all we need is love". Not that original...
221B Baker Street
The most famous detective Sherlock Holmes lived here. No, I know he did not exist...however, some other people seem to miss the fact that he is a fictional character. When Canon-Doyle killed Sherlock the papers wrote a obituary. That is the only bit of information I have gleaned from my British Mystery class.

Lighting of Christmas Tree
Ever since 1947 Norway donates a tree to the city of London. This Christmas tree symbolizes the friendship especially during WWII. I did not see the lights turned on because....I HAD TO GO TO HAMLET!

Royal Shakespeare Production of Hamlet
Starring: Patrick Stewart and David Tennant

I caught myself listening solely to the phonetics and pronunciation of words; they were memorizing. Accentuating syllables or consonants brought a richness and depth to the words; “incestuous sheets” never sounded so perverted and disgusting. Beyond the sounds of the words was the descriptive and spell-binding diction and syntax of William Shakespeare. These melodious words described eternal themes that absorb our beings. The language and themes are carried on the shoulders of the director, costumes, lighting and the actors.
The modern dress costumes and setting displayed a cold calculating political family. The producer beautifully deconstructed these superficial relationships to reveal deep feelings and connections between family members. The bedroom scene with Hamlet and his mother -often is ruined by Freud’s oedipal complex- displayed a passionate scene that did not have any Freudian undertones. In fact it almost mocked such ideas. The scene ended up being one of the most touching as Hamlet and his mother break down facades and see each other truthfully. The tone of Ophelia and Hamlet love is established in the opening scene when a simple knowing clasp of comfort between the two characters.
Each character actor performed phenomenally. Ophelia, Gertrude, Claudius (Patrick Stewart) were wonderful to watch. And David Tennant…what can I say about David Tennant? Brilliant, ingenious, fantastic…From the opening scene he bewitches the audience. He brought a boundless energy with the stage as his jungle gym, leaping, sliding, and running about playing the mad fool. He also accentuated the wit and humor along with the sorrow and deep reflection of his soliloquies. The humorous interpretation of particular lines allowed the audience to release pent up anxious emotions. I’m a sucker for dark comedies and Tennant played it more that way. Ah…I must stop myself; I could go on forever!
After the performance Katie and I just sighed, smiled and looked at each other in disbelief. It was the highlight of the program and a night we will never forget. When I read Hamlet’s soliloquies I’ll see David Tennant in an empty black stage, not reciting, but being Hamlet. Not a bad image to dwell on…he’s quite fit.





2 comments:

  1. Who is the one in the front who looks like Paul?

    Just kidding! I love your new haircut, it looks vaguely like a cut I once sported. In other words, it's pretty hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. will you stop hating on the Dane now that you've experienced its true wonder?

    ReplyDelete