Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Welcome Back Autumn



Hay is a symbol of Autumn: hay rides and hay bales lining pumpkin patches.

While at home this summer, I watched the annual ritual of transforming chest high fields of grass into heavy compact bales of hay, cinnamon rolls and marshmallows.

The cinnamon roll

I find something aesthetically beautiful about these coarse, hay cinnamon rolls.

I had to have pictures of these cinnamon rolls so I drove around in my car snapping pictures with my phone. I didn't dare get out of the car - I was afraid that the farmers might call the cops on a girl tromping through their fields with a camera.


The marshmallow

I remember when my dad woke me and my little brother in the middle of the night to drive to a neighboring field so we could examine these strange looking marshmallows. Our dad told us that these were the props for an upcoming X-Files that they were filming in our home town.

I'm the most gullible person in the world - so of course I believed him. But in my defense I was groggy, young and they were strange enough looking in the moonlight to be featured in an episode of X-Files.


Welcome back Autumn.

3 comments:

  1. agreed. welcome back autumn. i sure wish i had some chicken noodle soup right now....doesnt that just sound SO autumn-like

    ReplyDelete
  2. there photos are of Enumclaw? I didn't realize we had so much wheat there... Nicely done Hillary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always thought they looked like cinnamon rolls, too! i love your pictures, by the way.

    ReplyDelete