Thursday, October 28, 2010

O.R.C.A Poetry

Warning: The following may contain graphic or violent images that may be upsetting for animal lovers or followers of P.E.T.A. These views do not reflect the views of the author of this blog. These ideas are the rant against writing a academic grant proposal entitled O.R.C.A. Whales were not intended to be hurt in the process of the making of this poem, but unfortunately the name too closely resembled the grant's name - whales became collateral damage in a bitter diatribe against the grueling task of writing a proposal.

O.R.C.A. Blood

Kill the freakin whales

Harpoon them

Use their blubber to fuel industry

Destroy every copy of Free Willy

Put Shamu in a 9x10 tank

And buy hundreds of tickets to see him

fueling the industry that traps these wild animals into captivity

"There she blows!"

See capitalism reap and Marx weep

Tears that may be similar to his twin Fredrick Douglas

See me weep

I swim and jump through hoops

to the whistle of my trainer

to be rewarded with a fish

"My mother was a fish"

Well I'll Northrop FRYE that Stanley FISH

bite the hand that feeds

my academic needs


3 comments:

  1. In the spirit of oceanic angst can we make a shout-out to Anthony as the person who introduced us to the disturbing feminist interpretation of Little Mermaid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I hear writing a thesis prospectus is pretty similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!!!!

    ...that's all. Not nearly pretentious enough of a comment, I know, but I am just overwhelmed with joy and whale-killing.

    ReplyDelete