Saturday, May 28, 2011

Champions League Final 2010-2011

I'm a huge Manchester United fan. Now I know some girls say they like soccer and they can't name a player besides David Beckham. I am not one of those girls. So of course being an avid Red Devils fan, I'm extremely excited for the Champions League final today. To get ready for the final, I revisited Man U's European Cup victories.

The first is the emotional win in the 1967-68: Manchester beat Benfica 4-1. It was emotional win as manager Matt Busby (Busby Babes) led his team to a victory ten year after the horrible Munich air disaster.

Here is a video with the highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qky33ED9QAA

Next up is the nail-biting win in the 1998-1999 European Cup. I love seeing all the Man U veterans looking so young and re-visiting the David Beckham years. You must watch this clip of the highlights. It is possibly one of the most exciting football matches ever.


Here is a video with the highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVj7IpnkySo

Finally, the all-English final of 2007-2008. It ended with a penalty shoot out with my least favorite team in the Premier League: Chelsea (sorry, Rachel). It was a great game full of wonderful saves and goals. But goodness, it was nerve wreaking at the end. I love how this match was held Moscow because FIFA was hoping to keep hooliganism to a minimum with the threat of Russian prisons. It was quite successful. (Side note: ESPN magazine just published an extremely interesting article about hooliganism in the UK). Never underestimate Russian prisons. Yet it didn't keep the ugliness off the pitch; the egotistical, greasy haired, Didier Drogba got sent off for slapping Vidic. No one slaps Vidic and gets away with it. I love Vidic.


Here is a video with the highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5K7DJLA5Fk

Well, all I can say is that I hope it is not a repeat of the 2008-2009 European Cup. We played terrible; it was one of the most frustrating matches I've ever watched. Subsequently, I'm not going to give a link to that match. Instead, let's aim for me ending the day singing "Glory, glory Man United!"

1 comment:

  1. It was never a sending off offence! And Drogba should have been on the pitch to take that last penalty instead of John Terry (legend). Watched most of the final...sorry, Man Utd. were simply outclassed. But I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete