Sunday, October 5, 2008

Andrew Gamblin & Rembrandt




Friday I visited the Wallace Collection and focused on a few paintings of Dutch painters during the Boruque. Of course this included the infamous Rembrandt. Here is one of the many thoughts that I had while viewing this collection.

I’m standing in front of one of the many Rembrandt self portraits and a similar feeling comes over me when standing next to Andrew. Rembrandt’s precision and representation of detail, a northern trait to be sure, displays every hair. Many of these hairs resemble Andrew when trying to grow a scant moustache. I almost began to prep my fingers to pluck the distracting scraggly hairs on Rembrandt's chin. I believe this reaction paints (no pun intended) Rembrandts amazing talent for realism and attention to detail. Not only does he meticulously paint the hairs on his coat, head, eyebrows but even wrinkles. The wrinkles and disquietude of the eyes pierce the viewer. He captured his own insecurities for the world to see; a brave man.






Netscher, The Lacemaker

This was my favorite painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment