Saturday, October 18, 2008

Life Like A Market

I step outside my door and stroll outside into the damp fall air. I hunch my shoulders and place my hands in my pockets to insulate my body. Thankfully the chill disappears with the sun’s periodic appearances. As I walk, my strides sync with a song by Camera Obscura playing lightly on my ipod. After a few blocks I join the hordes of tourists who flock to Portobello road. Past the antiques and the swarming crowds, I reach the food section: fruit, fresh cheese, pastries and sizzling chicken. I maneuver skillfully past all the remaining tourists until I reach my heaven: a block of young designers and artists. Vintage treasurers fill up innumerable stands, each item recyclable with an artistic eye. It seems odd that such a place could bring me joy, but every Saturday as I follow this ritual I am overcome with a feeling of independence and a surge of artistic energy. There are countless people in the world who perceive and create beauty; they inspire me. I wish all life could be like a market place; each of us brings our talents and food in a simple, dignified and human manner. We pass away hours exploring, admiring and absorbing the ambience.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love that market. Sometimes I dream about. I am not kidding. I think that life would be perfect with permanent Saturdays in Notting Hill. I would buy beautiful flowers there. You have made me extremely jealous. Especially since I just started a sucky new job.

    ReplyDelete