Sunday, November 16, 2008

Broom War

I broke code; I laughed on the tube.
I could not help it; it was so unexpected!
The cause for my laughter: a “broom war”.


The londonpaper
I love the free, sleazy “londonpaper” handed outside the tube stops. They give major political events, fashion trends, celebrity gossip and most importantly football updates. By the time you conclude your reading you have reached your destination and avoided another boring trip on the tube. You step off the tube more informed and with helpful knowledge (like Lindsey Lohan and her British DJ girlfriend are on the rocks). My taboo laughter began with an article in the londonpaper.


Background

While in Jerusalem a guest speaker who worked for the government spoke about maintaining peace and good will among all Christian denominations in Jerusalem. Contrary to what many believe, devout Christians in Jerusalem do not always agree. While visiting holy sites Professor Seeley told us “it’s not the time to be Christian”. You need to maintain this mentality with pious pilgrims and clergy pushing and shoving to view a site. You cannot turn the other cheek, you need to throw an elbow!
Matters among Christians are especially heated when it involves the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. There are several denominations who share the Church of the Holy Sepulcher and each priest knows to the centimeter where their turf ends and the appropriate times for each denomination’s worship. Due to the tense situation mindless sweeping on another denominations stone floor in the church can lead to a “broom war”. Something very similar happened the other day and a brawl between an Armenian clergy and Greek Orthodox ensued and Israeli authorities had to pacify the flying fists. When I read this I chuckled, then I laughed hard when I saw the accompanying picture of the clergymen with their fists up.

No comments:

Post a Comment