Monday, June 20, 2011

University Student Design on a Dime


It's been an experience moving into my new home at the John Taylor House. I've learned how to wash my own carpets using a Rug Doctor, paint my first wall, replace couch cushions, and assemble IKEA furniture very poorly. While I am by no means finished, last night I felt satisfied with the basic furniture of my living room: I now have a vintage TV stand, an IKEA dinning table, vintage couch and chair, freshly painted walls and clean carpets.

I've made some mistakes & learned some valuable things:

Do not buy expensive paint before looking at samples.

Vintage cushions may shrink when washed in a washer.

Finding replacement foam for couch cushions is expensive, and the foam must be cut with a butcher knife to fit the dimensions of your cushion.

People at Home Depot are your friends. Get to know their names, because you will be
conversing with them often.

Cheap furniture is cheap. You may not return it after you assemble it, and it may lean after assembled.

Know your weaknesses and exploit your friends that have strengths in those areas. I'm terrible at assembling IKEA furniture, but my friend Janet is brilliant at it. I'm a novice at painting walls, but my friends Rebecca and Whitney are experts.

Despite all the mistakes, I feel that my room is turning out splendidly so far. Please excuse the terrible quality of the photos; I do not have a camera at the moment so I am using my computer.


Next steps: find proper shelves for my books that are currently residing on the window seal, purchase dining chairs, paintings, lamps, rugs, pillows and throws.

3 comments:

  1. digging that tv stand! you are a an inspiration. help me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exciting! Can't wait to see the finished product!!

    ReplyDelete